Summer 2021 COVID-19 Update
Dear Kandalore Families,
This year has brought about unimaginable challenges that have impacted every aspect of our lives, our families, businesses, and for many, our health and wellbeing. Last year upon our closure, we received hundreds of messages outlining the value and importance of Kandalore to our community. From that point on, our team has been unwavering in our dedication to bringing our community back together for the Summer of 2021. This has been our guiding light all year.
In a year where kids have been faced with much disappointment, we had so hoped that by this summer, the COVID-19 pandemic would have settled to the extent that we could once again provide them with the fun, connective and unforgettable experience they need now more than ever.
Yet sadly, several significant factors have continued to work against us. The COVID-19 situation unfolding in Ontario currently is very serious. The case counts are still high, schools remain closed, and variants of concern are affecting more youth. Overnight camps remain closed by order of the Province and have not yet been placed in the reopening framework, leaving a great deal of uncertainty as to if camps will be able to open at all this summer.
As a result, with the safety and well-being of our community foremost in our mind, we have had to make the extremely difficult decision to significantly reduce our program offerings for this summer. To the extent that Kandalore is permitted to operate and can deliver its programs safely and responsibly, we have developed updated 2021 Summer Programs that we believe provide the best odds to involve the most campers and staff, and to focus on sustaining and developing Kandalore’s future leaders.
By July, COVID-19 projections suggest that cases will not be low enough to operate a traditional in-camp program safely. To mitigate this risk, we will only be welcoming our LIT Hybrid and Explorer campers to camp as of mid-July to prepare for their Explorer trips.
For August, the modelling suggests that cases will be lower, hopefully sufficiently low enough to permit more campers on site. Conditions and space permitting, Kandalore will operate our LIT program, a four-week session for Senior and Inter campers, as well as a one-week session for our PJ campers (born 2010-2015).
We recognize this letter will be heartbreaking for many of you, particularly for those campers we are no longer able to accommodate, or whose summer schedule is not able to be shifted to include our new session dates. We share and feel your disappointment. We felt that we owed it to our campers, families and staff to make a plan that aligns with the information that is before us now. We are hopeful that we will be able to run these newly developed programs this summer. However, there still remain many uncertainties, and we may need to make a shift yet again as we get closer to summer.
Kandalore will be refunding families 100% of all fees paid, including deposits for those campers who we are no longer able to accommodate, or who wish to cancel their registration. An email specific to refunds will follow in the coming days. More information about our 2021 Summer programs can be found here.
It is the support of this incredible community that has kept us going this whole year. Your messages of hope, support and loyalty have provided our greatest source of encouragement. I am confident that we will continue to help each other through this challenging time and that Kandalore will be waiting for the return of our full community next summer.
Take care and be well,
Summer 2021 Covid 19 Questions
What has caused you to make the decision to modify your summer programs?The COVID-19 situation unfolding in Ontario currently is very serious. The case counts are still high, schools remain closed, and variants of concern are affecting more youth. Overnight camps remain closed by order of the Province and have not yet been placed in the reopening framework, leaving a great deal of uncertainty as to if camps will be able to open at all this summer. At this time, we believe that running camp at a reduced capacity, later in the summer and with programs that do not overlap is the safest option for our community.
Is it possible that Kandalore will change summer programs again?It is possible that Kandalore may need to modify our Summer 2021 programs again. Kandalore will adhere to the regulations put forth by the Government of Ontario and Public Health. We will only operate our programs if we feel that it will be safe for our Campers, Leaders and Staff.
What are your COVID-19 protocols for your programs this summer?A full COVID-19 Safety Plan, based on recommendations from the Ontario Camps Association and approved by Public Health will be available to all families before their program begins.
Will Kandalore be providing full refunds?Camp Kandalore will be refunding families 100% of all fees paid, (including deposits) for those campers who we are no longer able to accommodate, or who wish to cancel their registration. We are also happy to apply payment(s) to the 2022 season for your camper or a sibling if preferred.
Families who chose to opt-in or register for our modified programs will have a new refund policy which they will be able to review before registration.
Do I need to do anything to receive a refund?Yes, Kandalore will kindly ask that all families complete a refund request form. This form will be emailed to all families. If you are missing this form, please let the Kandalore office know and we will make it available to you.
When will I get my refund?Once the Kandalore team has confirmation of a refund request, we will process refunds shortly.
What if I cancelled before the pandemic?Unfortunately, full refunds are only being issued to currently registered families.
How will I be refunded if I did not pay by credit card?You will be refunded by cheque soon after receiving our email outlining refunds. However, due to expected postage delays, we request that you wait at least two weeks for your cheque to arrive. Please notify us if you haven’t received your cheque within two weeks of our refund email.
How will I be refunded if my credit card is no longer valid since my last payment?If your credit card information is no longer valid, we will process your refund by cheque.
What is your refund policy if I register for one of your new programs?Due to the remaining uncertainty of overnight camps being allowed to operate this summer, Kandalore has had to revise its refund policy. To prepare for camp to open, we will have to incur a number of expenses before even knowing for certain that we can operate. The largest of these and the most important is our summer staff salaries. They have shown us tremendous support and loyalty throughout this year and we want to be able to financially commit to them by June 21st.
Full fees are due June 21st, 2021.
For the period from confirmation of registration to June 20th, 2021 – If the camp program is cancelled for any reason, including due to COVID-19, or if a camper withdraws for any reason, a family will receive a full refund except for the $300 administration fee.
For the period from June 21st to the day prior to your camper’s session start date – if the camp program is cancelled for any reason, including due to COVID-19, or if a camper withdraws for any reason, a family will receive a refund of the amounts paid less $750 per camper and $500 per PJ Session camper. The amount so deducted will be non-refundable.
From the day on which your camper’s session starts, if the camp session gets cut short for any reason, or if a camper needs to leave early, solely due to COVID-19, a family will receive a refund for the number of full days actually missed at a rate of $100 per day for LIT Hybrid and Explorer 2s; or at a rate of $125 per day for Inter, Senior and PJ programs.
If a camper leaves early for any reason other than COVID-19 or the camp session being cut short, there will be no refund.
2021 Modified Registration
What will the new process be for 2021 Registration?For families who wish to register for our modified programs, a simplified opt-in form will be made available at 12 pm on Wednesday, May 19th. The Kandalore team will register your child for the appropriate session and send follow-up details to complete registration. All of our currently registered families will be given priority access to registration until Friday, May 28th at which point we will open registration up to all families.
Will you guarantee spaces for 2021 families?We will do our best to accommodate eligible campers however, due to limited capacity, camper registration will be on a first come, first served basis.
Our currently registered Leadership campers will simply be required to confirm that our new program dates still work for their summer plans through a similar opt-in form.
Is there a deadline for 2021 families to register for new 2021 options?No, however, currently registered families will have priority registration until Friday, May 28th at which point we will open registration to all families.
What will fees be?Please click here to view our new Summer 2021 fees.
What if we weren’t registered for Summer 2021 and want to register for the new Summer 2021 programs?Families who are not currently registered for Summer 2021 will be able to register on Saturday May 29th, 2021.
Is there a chance camp will not operate this summer?At this point, we don’t have an answer to this question. Given current restrictions, plans may shift again. Kandalore will adhere to all Government of Ontario and Public Health restrictions and make decisions that put our campers, staff and community health and wellbeing first.
2022 Summer and Beyond
When can I register for summer 2022?Kandalore will open our standard registration process in the fall. We will send email communications to our families to let them know when we are ready to launch registration.
Will you guarantee spots for the Summer of 2022?Campers who were registered for the Summer of 2021 will have a prioritized registration period. More information will be available this fall.
Do you foresee any long-term impacts on Kandalore in the future?Though this summer presents us with continuing unprecedented and unforeseen challenges, we are planning for a variety of operational considerations moving forward and expect to run in full capacity next summer and thereafter.
Leadership Programs – LIT, Explorer 2, Explorer and Pathfinder
My camper is no longer able to participate in their leadership program due to your shift in dates. What happens next for them?We will endeavour to do all we can to enable all of our Leaders to take part in experiences that best serve their interests and goals moving forward. Leaders who cannot participate in their program this summer will be encouraged to apply for the next step in their leadership at Kandalore next summer.
When will Leadership applications open for 2022?Leadership applications will open at their usual time in October.